Google My Business / GMB Optimization / Local SEO
Google My Business (GMB) is the most important online listing for any local business. It drives the local business search results on Google search, maps, Google Assistant (voice search) and more.
Claiming and optimizing your Google My Business listing is critical for not only for getting new customers, but helping repeat customers do business with you again. However, Google My Business changes frequently and the best practices for a well-optimized listing are not always clear. We created this checklist for Google My Business as a single point of reference and will update it continually to reflect the changes and best practices recommended by the most well-respected local search experts in the world.
Claim / Create a Google My Business Listing
Does Your Business Qualify for a Listing?
- You must must interact in-person with customers during stated business hours:
- At your place of business (storefront business).
- At your customer’s location (service area business).
- ATMs, video-rental kiosks, express mail drops and select other similar services.
- Seasonal businesses with permanent signage at location.
- Ineligible businesses:
- eCommerce or online-only businesses.
- Rental or for-sale properties.
- You must be currently open or opening within 90 days.
- You must own or be an authorized representative of the business.